Monday, January 30, 2012

Week Two -- Only drinking milk, coffee, tea or water

So this week here is our real foods challenge:

Beverages will be limited to coffee, tea, water, and milk (only naturally sweetened with a little honey or 100% pure maple syrup). One cup of juice will be allowed throughout the week, and wine (preferably red) will be allowed in moderation (an average of one drink per day.

Now we are not big soda drinkers we never have soda in our house except for special occasions and parties, so I thought this will be an easy challenge this week.  Well not one of the harder one's, that will come but not as easy as I had originally anticipated.  We may not drink soda but that does not mean we don't drink sugary drinks that are a no.  

For starters the kids always have chocolate milk at school with there lunches.   I thought they were all going to go into cardiac arrest when I told them they have to drink regular milk or water for lunch.  The school serves trumoo choclate milk which happens to be there favorites.  Now they were not happy but said they would try.  That is the best I can ask.  

So my 5 year old is a different story.  All she drinks is "100%" Juice from the store, or nesquik chocolate milk.  We are not talking one glass a day either probably close to 6 or more.  Now I am not proud of this.  Now that I realize what I was giving her I am glad she will not be drinking so much sugar.  Switching to whole milk may help some however as she had some the other day and said, "Yum this milk is sweet and good".  

For me I am a huge huge water drinker.  So I also didn't think this would be that hard.  However, I am not a coffee, milk or tea drinker so that limits me quite a bit.  I mean who wants water with breakfast.  I would drink chocolate milk with breakfast almost every morning because I don't like the taste of regular milk.  Well since that is out I am just going to have to get more creative.  The hardest part of this week was when I went into the pantry today and cleaned out all of the stuff we use to make drinks that does not fall into these categories.  I am a massive hot chocolate drinker especially in the winter.  My favorite flavor is Stephens brand candy cane hot chocolate with little bits of candy can actually in the mix.  It is delightful and to die for.  I will miss this, but I have to remember there are alternative's to this and I will just have to get more creative.  I filled a small box and one grocery bag full of hot chocolate mixes, kool-aid, crystal light packets, and nesquik chocolate milk mix.  It was harder then I envisioned to pull it all and realize it was never coming back.  I almost wanted to have one last cup just for the sake of it but it is better to just get rid of it instead.  

So week two here we go, I still believe in it completely but it sunk in a little bit more this week as to how hard this may become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment