Monday, January 23, 2012

Real Foods Define (The Rules) What I hope we can acheive long term


I sat down and read all about this plan and of course one of the first things I did was read the "Rules" or what you can and can not eat.  As excited as I was about all of this, it was scary and very daunting to read this list.  A lot of things that I love to eat regularly including Peanut M&M's (my favorite) would be taken away from me as they were against the rules.  So this was going to be harder then I thought was my first thought, but then I kept reading and doing research and I found so many resources and that was very reassuring to know that it can be done and you can still enjoy good yummy food, including sweets.  I had to take the time to really think about the benefits of this and do a complete mind change, instead of thinking of all the things you can't eat, you have to look at all the things you can.  


Here are the rules and what I hope we can achieve long term:

What you can eat:
Whole Foods- Food that are a product of nature and not a product of industry
Fruits and Vegetables- In there real form, fresh or frozen with nothing added to them
Dairy Products - Includes milk, unsweetened yogurt, eggs and cheese. 
Whole-Wheat, Whole-Grains - 100% whole-wheat or other whole-grains not refined in anyway
Seafood - If possible wild caught is preferred over farm raised
Locally-raised meats - Pork, Beef and Chicken preferably grass fed and local.
Beverages - Water, Milk, all-natural fruit juices, coffee and tea sweetened only with honey or 100% maple syrup
All-Natural Sweeteners -  Use honey, 100% maple syrup and 100% fruit juice concentrates moderately.
Snack - Dried Fruit, seeds, nuts and popcorn

What you can not eat:
Refined Grains - Includes white flour and white rice.  Wheat items must say whole wheat.
Refined Sweeteners - Includes sugar, any form of corn syrup, can juice or artificial sweeteners like Splenda
Food in a box, can or bag - Avoid packaged foods that have more than five ingredients listed on the label.  Especially if you don't know what they are or can't pronounce them.
Fried Food - Includes food soaked or cooked in heavy oil
Fast Food - Avoid drive-thrus and any grab-and-go foods 

Now of course you read this and you think wow all the stuff I love is on the list of things I can't eat.  That was my first thought also, but then as I read it again and again and really thought about it I came to the realization that the list of things I can eat was longer then the things I can't.   That is all it took and I was ready to take off.

I have to give credit where credit it due, to the lady that gave me this inspiration.  These rules are from the website www.100daysofrealfood.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment