Thursday, February 9, 2012

Couple bumps in the road this week!

So it is a little more then half way through week 3 and we have hit some bumps in the road this week.  I realized that packing lunches is hard.  So is making sure to get up and make sure my kids get breakfast before they leave for school.  The first one is out the door at 7:05am so this means I have to have breakfast ready by 6:45am.  I used to not get up until 6:30 so setting the alarm a half hour earlier is really really rough. 

I also didn't do great with the budget and having foods available for lunch.  So I did pretty well in finding things for side dishes for my kids to pack in there lunches, however I didn't really think about the main dish part of lunch and I already spent and allotted my grocery money already.  OOPS!!!  So last night as we are trying to put lunches together all the kids say "Mom, what are we going to have as a main dish in our lunches?"  Umm, guess it is time to get creative, but the first thing I did was apologize to them that I didn't do great at this so far.  I also made sure they understood that we are all doing this together and we are all learning a new way of life.  Thank goodness my kids love me and are understanding :)  Also I am grateful that I have the ability to turn something into nothing my kids went to school with some great lunches today for which I am glad I could help them make.  I rummaged through the fridge and found some leftover cooked chicken from a dinner over the weekend, it was still good and made some delicious chicken salad sandwiches.  I know many people that read this would think you have 3 teenagers why are they not packing there own lunches?  I think at some point they will, but first they have be taught and learn how to do it just as well as I do.  I know to plan things differently with the next pay checks grocery money I will remember to put more priority on lunches then I did this time. 

Only other bump in the road this week has been getting my oldest son to school on time.  Since he was eating breakfast at school before we would leave about 7:00 and school starts at 7:45 so this worked well.  He didn't take the bus because it didn't get there in time for him to eat breakfast.  However, part of my trade off with him to convince him that eating breakfast at home would be worth his while I told him that he could sleep in an extra half hour and I would still drive him to school.  So, since he hates to wake in the morning extra sleep sounded great to him.  We are still learning obviously how to make our new routine work as he was almost late for school 2 days this week.  HMM, we will figure this out, but wow changing up your routines sure is hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment