Thursday, February 23, 2012

And the support is walking out the door.....

So I have learned one big huge thing during this process.  This is very very hard work!!!  I have also learned that my family is not on board as much as they were in the beginning and we haven't even hit some of the hardest steps yet including sugar and whole grains.  They are starting to complain about packing lunches every night.  I have also noticed them not loving my breakfast selections.  What have I started learning?  When you don't eat processed food you have to plan more, cook more, and do more dishes.  I am in the kitchen more then I was before and there is twice as many dishes to do.  I can't seem to keep up with all those darn dishes.  So what is the new plan you may ask?  Time to involve the family more.  I know they are starting to give up on me, but I think I can keep them with me if I just let them be a bigger part of what we are doing. 

Since I have older teenage kids there is not reason they can't be more a part of planning.  One thing I did do already to have them doing there own lunches was I made up a list of lunch items broke into these catagories, main, dairy, fruit/veggie, side and dessert.  I had them all circle in a different color what items they would eat off the entire list.  It consisted of about 80-90 items total.  All things that all 3 kids circled I made sure to buy and have all of them in the house.  I also did a couple of the stuff that only 1 or 2 of them circled.  That way they can look at the list and we have everything on it for them to pack into there lunches.  They still ask me questions and for some help but they are taking more charge of there lunches and that leaves less for me to do each night.  Considering I am not home many nights that is a very very good thing.  

I am hoping to incorporate this same method into snacks, and breakfast.  Dinner I have handled as I have always been one to plan dinners so that is not a new thing.  I figure the more input they give the more they are willing to eat it.  

The one thing that has changed more to the positive is that, my 5 year old has started being more willing to at least try one bit of things.  She has also eating second bites of things I would not have expected.  Hooray for that!  I know we still have a long way to go before she is what I would call a good eater, however I will take any small victory I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment